“We need to talk” is a phrase you usually don’t want to hear when you’re in a “love” relationship. But for friends planning on traveling together, it’s a good starting point for a pre-trip discussion.
Travel preparations are stressful so the last thing you want is to be stressed while you are actually on vacation with a (new) travel partner. If you’re not careful, you may end up wishing that you had stayed home and saved your money!
If you’re not comfortable traveling solo, compromise, “give and take” and flexibility are essential parts of the travel equation.
Do yourself a favor, have a candid talk with the person you plan on traveling with to determine your compatibility before booking non-refundable tickets.
– messy but they are a neat freak?
– a sun worshipper but they seek shade?
– an adventurer/explorer while they are laid-back and don’t like to do much?
– a superplanner versus their fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants attitude?
– an early bird but they are a night owl?
– an introvert versus their extrovertness?
– a seasoned traveler but they are a newbie?
– the type that wants to be joined at the hip all the type but with an “I’ll do my thing and you do yours sometimes” friend?
It all sounds like a common sense discussion to have but many don’t bother, thinking that all will go smoothly.
Until it doesn’t and they find themselves in a very delicate and T-E-N-S-E situation…
Image and content ©2016 Marquessa Matthews. All Rights Reserved.