I was excited and looking forward to the challenge of this year’s NaNoWriMo 2016.
I paced myself and prepared. I had enough of a basic outline to help me through at least 3 weeks and then wing it for the rest. I had even cleared the decks to reduce potential distractions leading up to this month, especially with the ongoing rebuild.
But somewhere between getting up early to greet my contractors, going to work for a full day and then doing writing prep at night ran me right out of mojo, into a bad cold and injuring my back from moving heavy items I knew better than to move by myself (but I did anyways)…
Needless to say, I can’t sit for long periods at my laptop to keep up with the word count and I’ve got zero energy by the end of each day.
- It’s Day 5 of the challenge and I definitely don’t have 8335 words under my belt;
- I’m not finding myself as passionate about my new characters like I was with Delaney, Tyler, Ella, Alejandro from last year; and
- A big part of winning NaNoWriMo is getting ahead of your word count in the first week and that hasn’t happened.
- It’s only the first week and I’ve got three more to try to redeem myself;
- When I can’t work on a longer scene, I’ve been writing shorter, non-related flash fiction pieces (which I’m counting towards my 50K);
- Writing 4703 words is still better than 0, right? (I’ve ditched the word counter in the menu since it’s not working correctly.)
How is your NaNoWriMo going?