I’ve done a handful of all-inclusive vacations in the past and they were awesome.
But given the choice between an all-inclusive and renting a condo, I would likely opt for a condo.
Okay, you now think that I’m crazy but hold on while I tell you why:
- my day doesn’t revolve around the all-you-can-eat format. I quickly get tired of seeing food all the time;
- there is no single supplement to pay. At an all-inclusive resort, I’m constantly annoyed that I had to pay more or even double than others, which is #freakingunfair;
- no one truly knows that I’m traveling solo. I could be a party of one, two or four and that’s “safer” for me. Once at a 5 star resort, a creepy staff guy paid too much attention to me and when I realized that he had easy “swipe card” access to my villa, I promptly demanded to be relocated closer to my friends;
- having a kitchenette is awesome. I can do my own thing and still have flexibility to dine out and enjoy local cuisine;
- more space. I love that “just like home feeling” than being in one room where I can only walk around the hotel bed;
- having a washer dryer makes life easy. I can pack less in my suitcase;
- usually no maid service which means that I don’t always need to lock everything up in the security box. And I’m not messy so it makes no difference to me;
- I’m forced to explore the area and not lazily (is that a word?) staying within the confines of a resort;
- I’m not paying for services I don’t use like the swim up bar, childcare services, spa, golf course, etc. which are basically all hidden into the cost.
What do your prefer? Fancy or not fancy? Condo or all-inclusive? Or just staying at home?