Where did 2017 go?
In 2018, I need to stop treating my writing as a hobby and find more time to dedicate to it. On December 1, I started plowing through a list of 30 things to do before 2018 that will simplify and streamline my day-to-day life in the new year. Some were quick easy hits while others took a little more time but most are already completed and I’m feeling great!
I’m sharing them with you and hopefully you will find some value in it!
For items 1 to 15, you can check out my guest post today on Simon’s wonderful blog at “Planet Simon“. Please drop by and tell Simon hey!💜
16. Photos of important information: With the first snow fall of every year, I never remember how to operate my snowblower. So I took a photo of the instructions and during the recent snowstorm, I wasn’t cursing under my breath as I usually do. I also took a photo of my bank’s operating hours so that I no longer feel like an idiot rushing there to find that it closed five minutes before.
17. Declutter and deep clean the house: I went crazy mid-November and ditched NaNoWriMo to do this. Yup, I gave up on NaNo for cleaning. It started out as an innocent one day flirt but quickly turned into a hot and messy full-fledged two week affair. Oh, but it felt soooo good! My living space hasn’t felt that zen and “light” since I had the flood. Do yourself a favour and get rid of what you don’t need or use.
18. Make a list all the annoying things (not people) in your living environment: That bookshelf to install, the sticky closet door, the clothes for the shelter that you never dropped off…I took an afternoon, did what I could and will enlist a “handyman” for the more complicated tasks I can’t do myself.
19. Prepare for tax season: Every March, I stress about getting receipts and bills together. I bit the bullet, gathered the receipts I had and already placed them into a special folder. I’ll gather up the rest at the end of January and get cracking on it.
20. Schedule all medical appointments for 2018: Family doctor, dentist, optometrist, gynecologist…I even scheduled a few on the same day, morning and afternoon, to maximize my journey into the city (which is a nightmare due to ongoing construction).
21. Do something nice for yourself once a month: Get out your calendar and pencil something nice in. A relaxing massage, a mani-pedi treat…It doesn’t have to cost much. Wander around a bookstore for an afternoon, go for a walk in a local area you’ve never been before, buy a coffee and people watch through the window and scribble down story ideas. Whatever you do, keep the appointment with yourself.
22. Clean out fridge and pantry for expired products: Make it a fresh start and throw them all out. But please do not donate expired items to food banks – buy new goods for a shelter.
23. Double up on gifts: Leverage time and the holiday sales by getting birthday gifts for loved ones now. No fuss, no muss, no future last minutr stress. I used to do this and have just started doing this again. I will definitely not regret it.
24. Purchase greeting cards for the next 365 days: Birthday, Valentine, Easter, Christmas, anniversary…You have to buy them anyway so why not buy them all at once? For me, the selection of English cards with words I like (I won’t buy if the words don’t match the person I’m buying for) is limited so I’ve started buying mine whenever I see bigger and better selections elsewhere.
25. Buy home or tenant insurance: With all of the unlucky and unfortunate things that could happen, it’s better to be safe than sorry. While you’re at it, think about identity theft insurance if it’s reasonably priced.
26. Switch to LED bulbs: I have not changed my living habits and have seen a noticeable drop in my electricity bill since I did this a few months ago. That extra money is better in my pocket than with the electric company.
27. Set your 2018 goals: Not happy with your 2017 accomplishments? No time like the present to set your goals for 2018. My 2018 goals list is still a work in progress.
28. Create a playlist of your songs. A playlist for when you’re feeling happy, a playlist for when you need to concentrate and another for when you feel like crap and want to throw yourself a pity party (don’t worry, we all do it).
29. Start one tiny habit now. Like drinking an extra glass of water a day, making your bed every morning, getting up an hour earlier every day. I started the habit of NOT checking my cell while still in bed.
30. Make a “not to do list’ for 2018: I could write a book for this one but at the top of my list is to make “no” a full sentence and refrain from providing a follow-up explanation. I often find myself doing this with people who never do this with me but yet they have the nerve to ask me “Why?” Time to flip the script.
So that was my list of my 30 things to do before 2018…
What’s on your pre-2018 list?